Descending Stoke Locks
Picturing the Past: NarrowBoat, Summer 2019
Another selection of images from the Jack Parkinson Collection reveals the carriage of pottery materials at Stoke-on-Trent
This view of the Trent & Mersey Canal at Stoke-onTrent is looking north-west under two railway bridges. The newly built bridge, closer to the camera, took a branch from the mainline across the canal to a large goods shed out of frame to the left. The boats have just left Cockshott, or Fenton’s, Lock 37, on the other side of the two bridges. In the distance on the left is a substantial gas-holder, which was part of a very large gas works complex.
The motor-boat Apple was originally built for Fellows, Morton & Clayton Ltd in 1931. The hull was constructed of copper-bearing steel by W.J. Yarwood & Sons Ltd at Northwich, with the cabin and engine room built at FMC’s own Saltley Dock. It was fitted with a 15hp Bolinder semi-diesel engine. All of FMC’s craft passed to the British Transport Commission in July 1949 and Apple became part of the British Waterways North Western Division Southern Carrying Fleet.…