The Erewash Canal Carrying Company
Famous Fleets: NarrowBoat, Autumn 2016
Alan Faulkner records the history of this small Leicester-based canal-carrier that was active during the mid-20th century.
The construction of what was to become the Erewash Canal was authorised by an Act of Parliament passed on 30th April 1777. Just over two and a half years later, on 9th December 1779, the canal opened throughout for 11¾ miles from the River Trent at Long Eaton up the River Erewash Valley to Langley Mill. The Erewash Canal had been preceded by the Loughborough Navigation, which was authorised by Parliament on 2nd April 1776 and opened in April 1779. This was essentially a canalisation of that part of the River Soar running from the River Trent at Redhill for just over 9 miles south to Loughborough. Both waterways were soon actively involved in developing the carriage of coal from collieries in the Erewash Valley to destinations in and around Nottingham and particularly upstream from the River Soar to supply Leicester and beyond.…